Pela Rua was introduced by Alaíde Costa in March of 1959 as a-side to Vontade de Chorar, accompanying her debut album Gosto de Você. The only other single release was issued by Tito Madi in August 1959 as b-side to Minha Canção de Amor, taken from his album Quero-te Assim.
The melancholy samba canção enjoyed only moderate success, however, it is definitely one of the most memorable songs of the late Adiléia Silva da Rocha aka Dolores Duran who died of a heart attack in October of 1959 at the age of 29, probably in consequence of a barbiturate overdose.
Marisa Gata Mansa, a close friend of Duran, made the third recording of Pela Rua which was also inlcuded the same year on Á Musica de Dolores, the tribute album issued by Duran’s label Copacabana, featuring some of Duran’s recordings as well as interpretations by Roberto Audi, Morgana, Marisa Gata Mansa and Agnaldo Rayol.
1960 saw two of the most striking interpretations of Pela Rua when Elizeth Cardoso recorded her quite lengthy version featuring Moacyr Silva’s tenor saxophone, and Lúcio Alves included the song on his tribute album A Noite de Meu Bem with a quintet featuring Luiz Carlos Vinhas on piano, Chiquinho do Acordeom and Baden Powell on guitar.
Unfortunately, Dolores Duran never recorded Pela Rua herself.
Selected recordings of Pela Rua:
1. Alaíde Costa from the single Pela Rua b/w Vontade de Chorar (1959, RCA Victor 80-2034-a) and the album Gosto de Você (1959, RCA Victor BBL 1030)
2. Tito Madi from the single Minha Canção de Amor b/w Pela Rua (1959, Continental 17.712-a) and the album Quero-te Assim (1959, Continental LPP 3072)
3. Marisa Gata Mansa from the album A Suave Mariza (1959, Copacabana CLP 11089)
4. Maysa from the album Maysa é Maysa… é Maysa, é Maysa (1959, RGE XRLP 5068)
5. Elizeth Cardoso from the album A Meiga Elizete (1960, Copacabana CLP 11165)
6. Lúcio Alves from the album A Noite de Meu Bem (1960, Odeon MOFB 3143)
7. Vera Lúcia from the album Leva-me Contigo (1960, Philips P 630.405 L)
8. Ribamar from the album Ribamar Interpreta Dolores Duran (1969, RCA Camden CALB 5231)
Selected medleys including Pela Rua
1. Waleska from the album A Fossa (1974, Copacabana COLP 11948)
2. Clara Nunes & Paulo Gracindo from the album Brasileiro Profissão Esperança (1974, Odeon SMOFB 3838)
No ar parado passou um lamento • Riscou a noite e desapareceu • Depois a lua ficou mais sozinha • Foi ficando triste e também se escondeu
Na minha vida uma saudade meiga • Soluçou baixinho • No meu olhar • Um mundo de tristeza veio se aninhar • Minha canção ficou assim sem jeito • Cheia de desejos • E eu fui andando pela rua escura • Pra poder chorar