Está Nascendo um Samba was introduced by tenor saxophonist Juarez Araújo in late 1962 on his album Bossa Nova do “States”. The album was recorded in November featuring an illustrious backing group with Nelsinho on trombone, Tião Marinho on bass, Neco on guitar, Bituca on drums, and either Fats Elpídio or Tenório Jr. on piano. Bossa Nova do “States” went high on the charts in 1963 as bossa nova was in full bloom in Brazil, which was to some extend a result also of the international attention bossa nova received after the Carnegie Hall concert.
Wilson Simonal was the first to pick up the song with his recording in January 1963, released in April as A-side to Garota Legal (an adapted version of Johnny Mercer’s You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby from 1938).
At the same time, while their self-titled debut was on its way to become one of the most successful bossa-jazz albums of the year, Tamba Trio accompanied João Mello on his soulful rendition of Está Nascendo um Samba arranged by Luiz Eça.
Composer Tito Madi himself recorded the song later that year on his album Amor e Paz—with an arrangement by Astor Silva that was reutilized for Neco’s guitar version on Coquetel Bossa Nova.
Selected recordings of Está Nascendo um Samba:
1. Juarez Araújo from the album Bossa Nova do “States” (1962, Masterplay MDL 13020)
2. Wilson Simonal from the single Está Nascendo um Samba b/w Garota Legal (You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby) (1963, Odeon 14.849)
3. João Mello & Tamba Trio from the album A Bossa do Balanço (1963, Philips P 632.136 L)
4. Tito Madi from the album Amor e Paz (1963, Entré/CBS 4021)
5. Neco from the album Coquetel Bossa Nova (1963, CBS 37313)
6. Lila de Oliveira from the album Gosto da Noite (1963, CBS 37284)
7. Os 7 Diabos from the album Os 7 Diabos (1963, Odeon MOFB 3348)
8. Os Sambistas da Guanabara from the album Show de Samba Vol. 2 (1964, Odeon MOFB 3388)
9. Conjunto Arpoador from the album Sambas de Todos os Tempos (1969, RCA Camden CALB 5193)
Selected medley including Está Nascendo um Samba:
1. Moacyr Silva from the album É Tempo de Samba No. 2 (1964, Copacabana CLP 11354 and Som/Copacabana SOLP 40177)