Volta Por Cima was introduced in October 1962 by Noite Ilustrada on his single Volta Por Cima b/w Lua Triste which was reissued in February 1963 with Sim Ou Não on the flipside. The samba became an instant success, reaching number 3 of the year-end charts of 1963.
Originally offered to several singers who refused to record the song, Volta por Cima was picked up by Mário de Souza Marques Filho aka Noite Ilustrada during his series of appearances at the bar Moleque in São Paulo where regular guests used to do the backing vocals while he was performing the song. This gushing enthusiasm lead producer Alfredo Borba to record Volta por Cima with Noite Ilustrada. The arrangement was provided by Portinho who also issued his own version on single the following year.
Other notable vocal versions were recorded by Oswaldo Nunes, Mauricy Moura, Roberto Silva and Dóris Monteiro, the latter accompanied by Walter Wanderley.
Selected recordings of Volta Por Cima:
1. Noite Ilustrada from the singles Volta Por Cima b/w Lua Triste (1962, Philips P-61.143-H-1) and Volta Por Cima b/w Sim Ou Não (1963, Philips P-61.187-H-1) and the album Noite Ilustrada (1963, Philips P 632.125 L)
2. Fats Elpídio from the album Samba ba Madrugada (1962, Masterplay MDL 13022)
3. Oswaldo Nunes from the album Oba! (1962, Mocambo LP 40088)
4. Portinho from the album Fogo nos Metais (1963, Philips P 632.138 L)
5. Dóris Monteiro from the album Gostoso é Sambar (1963, Philips P 632.130 L)
6. Héctor Costita aka Don Júnior from the album Sambas No. 2 (1963, RGE XRLP 5208)
7. Hélio Mendes from the album Week-end no Rio (1963, Musiplay LPM 1107)
8. Roberto Silva from the single Volta Por Cima b/w Pisei Num Despacho (1963, Copacabana 6.500)
9. Sylvio Viana from the album Rio à Noite (1963, RCA Victor BBL 1228)
10. Papudinho & Carlos Piper from the album Um Piston Bossa Nova (1963, Philips P 632.157 L)
11. Corisco & Os Sambaloucos from the album Show de Bossa (1963, Philips P 632.156 L)
12. Os Diplomatas no Samba & Paulo Roberto from the album Os Diplomatas no Samba com Paulo Roberto ao Orgão (1963, Philips P 632.148 L)
13. Mauricy Moura from the album Onze Sambas e uma Capoeira (1967, Marcus Pereira MPL 1020)
VOLTA POR CIMA
Chorei, não procurei esconder • Todos viram, fingiram • Pena de mim, não precisava • Ali onde eu chorei • Qualquer um chorava • Dar a volta por cima que eu die • Quero ver quem dava • Um homem de moral não fica no chão • Nem quer que mulher • Venha lhe dar a mão • Reconhece a queda e não desanima • Levanta, sacode a poeira • E dá a volta por cima