Derradeira Primavera was introduced in 1963 by Elza Laranjeira on her album A Música de Jobim e Vinícius. Like de Moraes’ Serenata do Adeus, the song is a poem set to music that is rather not to be viewed in the same light as pop songs of the period.
Elza Laranjeira’s original, certainly one of her most impressive performances, was arranged and conducted by Waldemiro Lemke and recorded with the collaboration of Antônio Carlos Jobim and Vinícius de Moraes, who named her “the most feminine voice of Brazil”.
Ana Lúcia was the first to pick up the song on her album Ana Lúcia Canta Triste, arranged and conducted by Oscar Castro Neves with special participation by Zimbo Trio. Nara Leão, Nana Caymmi and Dulce Nunes were the next to record the song before Elizeth Cardoso performed Derradeira Primavera twice in 1968. First in her legendary concert with Zimbo Trio, Jacob do Bandolim and Época de Ouro at Teatro João Caetano in Rio de Janeiro. Then, arranged by Cyro Pereira, on her album Momento de Amor.
Although a classic that is performed to this day, the song was recorded only by six singers until the eighties and apparently never as an instrumental piece. It certainly is one of the most distinctive compositions by the duo of Jobim and de Moraes and a perfect exercise for skilful interpretations.
Selected recordings of Derradeira Primavera:
1. Elza Laranjeira from the album A Música de Jobim e Vinícius (1963, RGE XRLP 5188)
2. Ana Lúcia from the album Ana Lúcia Canta Triste (1964, RGE XRLP 5239)
3. Nara Leão from the album Opinão de Nara (1964, Philips P 632.732 L)
4. Nana Caymmi from the album Nâna (1965, Elenco ME-25)
Art work for Nâna by Eddie Moyna with illustration by J. C. Mello Menezes
5. Dulce Nunes from the album Dulce (1966, Forma FM-13)
6. Elizeth Cardoso & Zimbo Trio from the album Ao vivo no Teatro João Caetano Vol. 1 (1968, Museu da Imagem e do Som MIS 004)
7. Elizeth Cardoso from the album Momento de Amor (1968, Copacabana CLP 11526)
Põe a mão na minha mão • Só nos resta uma canção • Vamos, volta, o mais é dor • Ouve só uma vez mais • A última vez, a última voz • A voz de um trovador
Fecha os olhos devagar • Vem e chora comigo • O tempo que o amor não nos deu • Toda a infinita espera • O que não foi só teu e meu • Nessa derradeira primavera