Olhos Verdes was introduced in May 1950 as A-side to Tudo Acabado by Vicentina de Paula Oliveira better known by her stage name Dalva de Oliveira. Both songs on that single became huge hits, ranking in the year-end charts at number eight and number one respectively. They boosted Oliveira’s solo career after she had left the acclaimed Trio de Ouro founded by composer and singer Herivelto Martins whom she divorced the year before.
Dalva de Oliveira, mother of Pery Ribeiro, sister of Lila de Oliveira, and blessed with a vocal range from alto to soprano, recorded Olhos Verdes again in 1961 and 1969, first with a big orchestral setting, then with only accordion.
Maybe too closely associated with Oliveira, the blitheful samba was slowly picked up by other musicians. Apparently, the only other issue as a single was by Roberto Inglez in 1951. In 1957, Elizeth Cardoso’s superb version on her album Noturno seemed to have paved the way for other recordings as they increased during the following years with noteworthy renditions including from Lana Bittencourt, Manoel da Conceição and Mário Sousa Marques Filho aka Noite Ilustrada.
Selected recordings of Olhos Verdes:
1. Dalva de Oliveira from the single Olhos Verdes b/w Tudo Acabado (1950, Odeon 13.002-a)
2. Roberto Inglez from the single Olhos Verdes b/w A Place in the Sun (1951, Odeon 8.405)
3. Elizeth Cardoso from the album Noturno (1957, Copacabana CLP 11013)
4. Moacyr Silva from the album Dançando com Você No. 2 (1957, Copacabana CLP 11008)
5. Manoel da Conceição from the album Eu Toco e Você Dança (1958, Copacabana CLP 2046)
6. Orquestra Continental de Jaú from the album Convite Para o Baile (1959, Internacional CID 27011)
7. Lauro Paiva from the album Gafieira em Bossa Nova (1960, Copacabana CLP 11163)
8. Dalva de Oliveira from the album Dalva de Oliveira (1961, Odeon MOFB 3219)
9. Moacyr Silva from the album Ritmo… Naquela Base (1962, Copacabana CLP 11255)
10. Lana Bittencourt from the album Exaltação ao Samba (1962, Columbia LPCB 37212)
11. Noite Ilustrada from the album Noite Ilustrada (1969, Continental PPL 12391)
12. Dalva de Oliveira from the album Os Grandes Sucessos de Dalva de Oliveira (1969, Imperial/Odeon IMP 30.138)
Selected medley including Olhos Verdes:
1. Zito Righi from the album O sax de Ouro (1961, Musidisc XPL-15)
Vem de uma remota batucada • Numa cadência bem marcada • Que uma baiana tem no andar • E nos seus requebros e maneiras • Na graça toda das palmeiras • Esguias altaneiras a balançar
São da cor do mar e da cor da mata • Os olhos verdes da mulata • Tão cismadores e fatais, fatais • E num beijo ardente e perfumado • Conserva o cravo do pecado • Dos saborosos cambucais