Palhaçada, also known as Cara de Palhaço, was introduced in 1961 on at least nine single releases and twelve albums. Since only release dates are detectable, if any, the date of the orginal recording remains unidentified. However, the first recordings were issued in March by Dóris Monteiro, Walter Wanderley, Isaura Garcia and Ivon Curi, followed by Miltinho, Joab Teixeira and Heraldo do Monte in April.
Palhaçada was the undisputed smash hit of 1961 and is also an iconic example of “Sambalanço”, a blend of Samba and Bossa Nova, which was ever so popular in the early sixties. Despite being one of Miltinho’s signature tunes, it was Dóris Monteiro’s rendition, arranged and conducted by Carlos Monteiro de Souza, that became by far the most sucessful one finishing 1961 as the number one song of the year. In 1970, both singers recorded the song again on the first of their four duet albums as part of a medley.
As with Nelsinho’s arrangement for Miltinho’s Murmúrio, Fafá Lemos’ album Dó-Ré-Mi-Fafá Lemos featured also a version of Palhaçada reutilizing an arrangement that was previously used , in that case the one for Ivon Curi.
Luis Reis himself issued the song in 1962 on his album Samba de Balanço, produced by Haroldo Barbosa.
Selected recordings of Palhaçada:
1. Dóris Monteiro from the album Doris Monteiro (1961, Philips P 630.454 L)
2. Miltinho from the album Poema do Adeus (1961, RGE XRLP 5103)
3. Izio Gross from the album Isto é Bossa (1961, Mocambo LP 40064)
4. Celso Murilo from the album Ritmos Na Passarela (1961, Pawal P-20.003) also issued on the compilation album Poema do Adeus credited Conjunto Balambossa (n/a, Coledisc CD 006)
5. Cyro Monteiro from the album As 14 Mais – Vol. IV (1961, Columbia LPCB 37166)
6. Zé Bodega & Severino Araujo from the album Um Sax no Samba (1961, Continental LPP 3183)
7. Ivon Curi from the album O Ator da Canção (1961, RCA Victor BBL 1117)
8. Fafá Lemos from the album Dó-Ré-Mi-Fafá Lemos (1961, RCA Victor BBL 1145)
9, José Magalhães Rocha from the album Pensando em Você (1961, Mocambo LP 40063)
10. Walter Wanderley from the album Samba é Samba com Walter Wanderley (1961, Odeon MOFB 3248)
11. Renato de Oliveira aka Cid Gray from the album Só Samba Sabendo Sambar (1961, Continental LPP 3160)
12. Steve Bernard from the album Nunca Num Domingo (1961, Continental LPP 3165)
14. Lauro Paiva from the album Sucessos com Lauro Paiva (1961, Copacabana CLP 11196)
15. Luis Reis from the album Samba de Balanço (1962, Philips P 630.488 L)
16. Altamiro Carrilho & Aloísio Figueiredo from the album O Melhor Para Dançar – Flauta e Órgão (1962, Copacabana CLP 11240)
17. Paulo Alencar from the album Um Baile Bem aka The Great Hits of Brazil (1962, Odeon MOFB 3312 and Kapp Records KL-1280)
18. Oswaldo Borba from the album Metais em Brasa no Samba (1962, Philips P 630.477 L)
19. Os Farroupilhas from the album Os Farroupilhas (1963, Farroupilha LPFR-601)
20. Elza Soares & Wilson das Neves from the album Elza Soares – Baterista: Wilson das Neves (1968, Odeon MOFB 3521)
Selected medleys including Palhaçada:
1. Sylvio Mazzucca from the album Baile do Sucessos No. 2 (1961, Columbia LPCB 37157)
2. Dóris Monteiro & Miltinho from the album Dóris, Miltinho e Charme (1970, Odeon MOFB 3649)
Versions of Palhaçada originally issued outside Brazil:
1. Izio Gross from the album Bossa Nova in Rhythm (c. 1963, Kristal Linea Económica Kubaney [MEX] KS-1154, also issued as Rio y Yo, Cubalegre [ESP] CEP-1519)
Cara de palhaço • Pinta de palhaço • Roupa de palhaço • Foi este o meu amargo fim • Cara de gaiato • Pinta de gaiato • Roupa de gaiato • Foi o que eu arranjei pra mim
Estavas roxa por um trouxa • Pra fazer cartaz • Na tua lista de golpista • Tem um bobo a mais • Quando a chanchada deu em nada • Eu até gostei • E a fantasia foi aquela que esperei
Cara de palhaço • Pinta de palhaço • Roupa de palhaço • Pela mulher que não me quer • Mas, se ela quiser voltar pra mim • Vai ser assim • Cara de palhaço • Pinta de palhaço • Roupa de palhaço • Até o fim