Fotografia was introduced in 1959 by Sylvia Telles on her album Amor de Gente Moça – Músicas de Antônio Carlos Jobim, featuring nine debut recordings by the composer such as Só em Teus Braços, Dindi and Sem Você arranged by Lindolpho Gaya.
Fotografia enjoyed only moderate success in its early days. Apparently never issued as a single, it took two years after until being recorded by another artist when Lana Bittencourt, backed by Astor Silva e Seus Metais Dançantes, included the song on her album Sambas do Rio. Three Years later, in 1964, she was followed by Dick Farney who was obviously quite fond of the song as he recorded it again in 1966, again arranged by Lindolpho Gaya, 1973, 1976 and 1990.
Antônio Carlos Jobim first recorded his own version on his 1967 album A Certain Mr. Jobim, arranged by Claus Ogerman with Dom Um Romão on drums.
English lyrics titled Photograph were written by Ray Gilbert but despite some releases with that title, the first by Astrud Gilberto with Marty Paich, his lyrics were only recorded later, inter alia by Ella Fitzgerald, when the song already had become a classic with about 100 recordings to date.
1. Sylvia Telles from the album Amor de Gente Moça – Músicas de Antônio Carlos Jobim (1959, Odeon MOFB 3084)
2. Lana Bittencourt from the album Sambas do Rio (1961, Columbia LPCB 37152)
3. Dick Farney from the album Dick Farney (1964, Elenco ME-15)
Art work for Dick Farney by Eddie Moyna with photographs by Francisco Pereira
4. Astrud Gilberto from the album The Astrud Gilberto Album (1965, Verve Records [USA] V6-8608 and Elenco MEV-4)
5. Dick Farney & Lindolpho Gaya from the album Dick Farney: Piano – Orquestra: Gaya (1966, Elenco ME-27)
6. Conjunto 707 from the album Fórmula 707 (1966, Chantecler CMG 2395)
7. Antônio Carlos Jobim from the album A Certain Mr. Jobim (1967, Warner Music [USA] WS-1699 and 1974, Continental [BRA] 3.01.404.051)
8. Wilson Simonal from the album Jóia, Jóia (1971, Odeon MOFB 3702)
9. Nara Leão from the album 10 Anos Depois (1971, Polydor LPNG 44.059)
10. Dick Farney from the album Dick Farney (1973, London/Odeon LLB 1089-S)
11. Elis Regina & Antônio Carlos Jobim from the album Elis & Tom (1974, Philips 6349 112)
12. Dick Farney & Claudette Soares from the album Tudo Isto é Amor (1976, Odeon SMOFB 3904)
13. Nara Leão & Antônio Carlos Jobim from the album Os Meus Amigos São um Barato (1977, Philips 6349 338)
Selected medleys including Fotografia:
1. Sylvia Telles, Tamba Trio & Quinteto Villa-Lobos from the album Reencontro (1966, Elenco ME-31)
2. Elis Regina from the album Elis Especial (1968, Philips P 765.056 L)
3. Luiz Carlos Vinhas from the album Luiz Carlos Vinhas no Flag (1970, Odeon MOFB 3630)
4. Dóris Monteiro & Miltinho from the album Doris, Miltinho e Charme (1970, Odeon MOFB 3649)
Eu, você, nós dois • Aqui neste terraço à beira-mar • O sol já vai caindo e o seu olhar • Parece acompanhar a cor do mar • Você tem que ir embora • A tarde cai • Em cores se desfaz, Escureceu • O sol caiu no mar • E aquela luz • Lá em baixo se acendeu • Você e eu
Eu, você, nós dois • Sozinhos neste bar à meia-luz • E uma grande lua saiu do mar • Parece que este bar já vai fechar • E há sempre uma canção • Para contar • Aquela velha história • De um desejo • Que todas as canções • Têm pra contar • E veio aquele beijo • Aquele beijo • Aquele beijo
You and I, we two • Alone here on this terrace by the sea • The sun is going down and in your eyes • I see the changing colours of the sea • It’s time for you to go, the day is done • And shadows stretch their arms to bring the night • The sun falls in the sea and down below • A window light we see • Just you and me
You and I, we two • Alone here in this bar with dimming lights • A full and rising moon comes from the sea • And soon the bar will close for you and me • But there will always be a song to tell • A story you and I cannot dismiss • That same old simple story of desire • And suddenly that kiss • That kiss
[English lyrics by Ray Gilbert]