Se Alguém Telefonar was introduced in late 1957 by Irlan Figueiredo Passos, better known as the very versatile Lana Bittencourt, on the single Se Alguém Telefonar b/w Haja O Que Houver with background vocals by Titulares do Ritmo. In 1958, the song was included on her second career album Lana em Musicalscope which earned her the award of radio’s best singer of the year by Radiolândia magazine. The same year, the song was also featured in Milton Amaral’s film comedy “Chofer de Praça”.
Se Alguém Telefonar ranked number 42 of 1958, when Bittencourt enjoyed her most succesful year at the age of 23 with four more songs in the year-end top 100: Conselho (Summertime) at number 68, With All My Heart at number 66, Alone at number 14 and Little Darling at number one.
The yearning samba-canção was one of Bittencourt’s few original songs to equal the success of her renditions of international hits such as Johnny Guitar and I Will Follow Him (Chariot). Se Alguém Telefonar was first picked up by Carlos José, Trio Nagô, who even inserted a phone bell in their recording, and Ted Moreno, and became one of the great torch songs of the late 1950’s.
Selected recordings of Se Alguém Telefonar:
1. Lana Bittencourt from the single Se Alguém Telefonar b/w Haja O Que Houver (1957, Columbia CB-10.372-a) and the album Lana em Musicalscope (1957, Columbia LPCB 37022)
2. Moacyr Silva from the album Convite à Música No 2 (1958, Copacabana CLP 11063)
3. Carlos José from the album Revelação (1958, Polydor LPNG 4013)
4. Trio Nagô from the EP Trio Nagô (1958, RCA Victor 583.5038)
5. Ted Moreno from the album Volte (1958, Todamérica LPP-TA-318)
6. Chiquinho do Acordeon from the album Dançando no Rio No. 2 (1959, Continental LPP 3063)
Selected medleys including Se Alguém Telefonar:
1. Sexteto Prestige from the album Música e Festa No. 2 (1958, Prestige DLP 1002), also credited to The Seven Stars aka Mike e Sua Orquestra on Festival Dançante No. 2 (1963, Damic LMP 5.021-6)
2. Orquestra Românticos de Cuba from the album Quiereme Mucho (1959, Musidisc Hi-Fi 2032)
3. Miltinho from the album Miltinho & Cia (1969, Odeon MOFB 3585)
4. Waleska from the album Waleska (1975, Copacabana COLP 12034)
Se Alguém Telefonar performed by Lana Bittencourt in the movie Chofer de Praça (1958)
SE ALGUÉM TELEFONAR
Se alguém, alguém que eu sei • Pra mim telefonar, não estou • Se alguém, a voz de alguém • Por mim mandar chamar, não voltou
Essa noite não quero ninguém • Não escuto mentiras de amor • Das promessas que vão me fazer • A melhor sei de cor
Se alguém, um certo alguém • De novo perguntar, onde estou • Diga então, que quem saiu • Recados não pediu, nem deixou
Vá dizer se quiser que sumi • Devo andar a vagar por aí • Por favor, posso chorar • Atenda em meu lugar