Chão de Estrelas, originally titled Sonoridade Que Acabou, was introduced in 1937 by Silvio Caldas. Even though issued only as b-side to Arranha-céu, the song became the second most popular song of that year and was critically acclaimed for its lyrics.
Despite the instant success, Chão de Estrelas was not recorded again for the next sixteen years until Silvio Caldas himself re-recorded the song in 1953, yet again compiled with Arranha-céu but this time with Chão de Estrelas as a-side. Then, the song started to gain his everlasting popularity with about 150 recordings until today as one of Brazil’s greatest ballads. In 1958, in the wake of its rediscovery, Chão de Estrelas as well as other notable recordings by Silvio Caldas from 1935 to 1938 were compiled on his album Madrugada.
Although more often performed by male singers, two especially notable interpretations were recorded by female vocalists: in 1957, by Elizeth Cardoso on her landmark album Noturno, and in 1961, by Maysa on her exquisite album Maysa, Amor… e Maysa.
In 1970, Os Mutantes recorded a tongue-in-cheek version that was heavily critizied by purists due to the overacted singing and various sound gimmicks.
Ideally suited for evocative and elaborated singing, Chão de Estrelas, served as a perfect canvas for crooners and serenaders like Cauby Peixoto, Agnaldo Rayol, Francisco Petrônio and Nelson Gonçalves.
Selected recordings of Chão de Estrelas:
1. Silvio Caldas from the single Arranha-céu b/w Chão de Estrelas (1937, Odeon 11.475-a), and the album Madrugada com Silvio Caldas (1958, Odeon MOCB 3025), reissued as Silvio Caldas (1968, Imperial IMP 30.107)
2. Silvio Caldas from the single Chão de Estrelas b/w Arranha-céu (1953, Sinter 00-00.213-a)
3. Fafá Lemos from the album Fafá Lemos e Seu Violino com Surdina (1956, RCA Victor BPL 3023)
4. Elizeth Cardoso from the album Noturno (1957, Copacabana CLP 11013)
5. Lúcio Alves from the album Serestas (1957, Mocambo LP 40001)
6. Maysa from the album Maysa, Amor… e Maysa (1961, RGE XRLP 5121)
7. Nelson Gonçalves from the album Seleção de Ouro Vol. 2 (1961, RCA Victor BBL 1114)
8. Silvio Caldas from the album Silvio Calda em Pessoa (1961, Columbia LPCB 37185)
9. Francisco José from the album Francisco José e os Sucessos de Ouro da Música Romântica Brasileira (1962, Philips P 632.100 L)
10. Onéssimo Gomes from the album Canta em Serenata (1962, Musidisc Hi-Fi 2065)
11. Osvaldo Fahel from the album Balado ao Luar (1964, Musiplay LPM 1114)
12. Mauricy Moura from the album Roteiro Noturno (1965, Continental PPL 12177)
13. Jair Rodrigues from the album O Sorriso do Jair (1966, Philips P 765.004 P)
14. Trio Dó-Ré-Mi from the album Trio Dó-Ré-Mi (1966, Fantasia/Philips FLP 2035)
15. Agnaldo Rayol from the album As Minhas Preferidas – Na Voz de Agnaldo Rayol – Presidente Costa e Silva (1968, Copacabana CLP 11523)
16. Elizeth Cardoso & Época de Ouro from the album Ao Vivo no Teatro João Caetano – Vol. 2 (1968, Museu da Imagem e do Som MIS 005)
17. Carlos José from the album Uma Noite de Seresta – Vol. 5 (1970, CBS 37693)
18. Os Mutantes from the album A Divina Comédia ou Ando Meio Desligado (1970, Polydor LPNG 44.048)
19. Baden Powell from the album Estudos (1971, Elenco SE 1007)
20. Cauby Peixoto from the album Superstar (1972, Odeon SMOFB 3729)
21. Maria Creuza from the album Eu Disse Adeus (1973, RCA Victor 103.0077)
22. Carlos Poyares from the album Brasil, Seresta (1974, Marcus Pereira 403.5024)
23. Francisco Petrônio & Dilermando Reis from the album O Melhor de Uma Voz e Um Violão em Serenata – Vol. 2 (1977, Continental 1.01.404.152)
24. Waldir Azevedo from the album Waldir Azevedo (1977, Continental 1.01.404.168)
Chão de Estrelas performed by Maysa on the TV show Maysa: Estudos (1975)
CHÃO DE ESTRELAS
Minha vida • Era um palco iluminado • Eu vivia vestido de dourado • Palhaço das perdidas ilusões • Cheio dos guizos falsos da alegria • Andei cantando a minha fantasia • Entre as palmas febris dos corações
Meu barracão no morro do salgueiro • Tinha o cantar alegre de um viveiro • Foste a sonoridade que acabou • E hoje, Quando do sol, A claridade • Cobre o meu barracão, Sinto saudade • Da mulher pomba-rola que voou
Nossas roupas comuns • Dependuradas • Na corda, Qual bandeiras agitadas • Pareciam um estranho festival • Festa dos nossos trapos coloridos • A mostrar que nos morros mal vestidos • É sempre feriado nacional
A porta do barraco • Era sem trinco • E a lua, furando o nosso zinco • Salpicava de estrelas • O nosso chão • E tu • Tu pisavas nos astros distraída • Sem saber que a ventura desta vida, É a cabrocha, O luar • E o violão…